Testing

Summer Accomplishments & Presentations

First, we're at Seattle Mini MakerFaire (https://www.facebook.com/events/215651449157117/?event_time_id=215651455823783) this weekend, in Maker Alley! If you're there, please come by and say hi!

Second, I gave two talks this summer -- a ten minute one at MakerFaire Bay Area and a longer one at Toorcamp. I'm still working on getting video of both -- in the meantime, here are my slides:

On the hardware front, we've gotten the wing molds fabricated and will shortly begin pulling some test parts. We've also put together a full set of cut files for the hull of the Microtransat boat.

We also added compasses to the wing sails in order to allow us to estimate the wind direction without additional hardware. This simplifies the boat and removes one more system (wind vanes) from the critical path.

Most of this summer's progress has been in the software realm -- we've spec'd out and written most of the necessary modules for the Microtransat boat. We're adding them in to the little boat's control system one at a time to test how they work in practice, and sailing them in Lake Washington when our schedules and good wind line up. Since the boat is a bit on the heavy side, it's not a particularly good sailor and really needs about 10 knots of wind before it performs decently. That's good enough for software testing, however.

We're looking forward to additional sail testing this afternoon, and we're also exploring resurrecting TSV Disputed Right of Way for creating a database of tagged images of the marine environment around Puget Sound.

Successful control!

We put larger (and lighter) tails on the wings as well as a proper windvane and got back in the water on Oct 22, again at Greenlake. We got the boat to reach, run, and even sail to windward under some measure of steering control. We still have the leash on it because the control is still dodgy, and the range is not wonderful. 

The weather has conclusively turned here in Seattle (it snowed both today and Friday), so we're going to spend our time working on software and planning for the around the world boat and our fundraiser to pay for it. 

Sail Testing

There was more wind than predicted this afternoon, so we had the opportunity to get the sail boat in the water for our first successful sailing test! 

20171001_161640_001.jpg

The boat sailed under its own power, responded to remote commands, and we successfully retrieved it. However, it's going to take a lot more practice and some modification to get good, predictable control of the boat.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First, it's just a plain hard boat to steer. The steering response is quite different from any other boat. Second, the wings have too much inertia relative to the size of the tails, which makes them hard to control in relatively light and changeable winds like we had today. Our next steps will be printing some bigger tails (moar powah!) and moving up our plans for a third wing revision. 

In other news, we're looking at MOOS-IvP for building the next software generation, and it looks good.